I have always loved breakfast the most. Maybe it’s the fact that it serves as a great start to the day, maybe it’s because I wake up hungry (oh, who am I kidding? It’s probably because it is all things sweet and carby). Whatever my internal reason, it is my go-to meal, even for lunch and dinner.
So where are my five favorite breakfasts in the land of 10,000 lakes? Let me tell you…
1. Hen House Eatery in Minneapolis: This place has the most amazing menu in a really great location. My favorite breakfast here is either the Tiramisu Pancakes or the Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon. Either one is a winner winner chicken…breakfast.
2. Keys Cafe: One can never go wrong with a stop at Keys. They are all over the metro area, and there is even one outlier in Forest Lake (which is great for the instances where regret starts setting in that you didn’t stop earlier). While each location has their own unique menu, there are a few constants. Their baked good are second to none (they put rock candy on a piece of white cake…#brilliant), which means their sausage gravy and buttermilk biscuits at the Forest Lake location are amazing. Keys opens the lock on delicious breakfast.
3. At Sarah’s Table/Chester Creek Cafe: This iconic Duluth restaurant is like a mirror to the city it calls home: Cute, eclectic, loving, and unique. It’s cozied right into the hillside, it has placed a major emphasis on being all the things: Organic, free range, gluten free, pasture-raised, locally grown, and sustainably sourced. My personal favorite of theirs is the cranberry wild rice french toast with oatmeal stout beer syrup.
4. New London Cafe: This is an amazing little treasure of the Duluth culinary scene that is tucked right into the Lakeside neighborhood. Options are given thematic Duluth names (Gitchee Gummie Waffle Platter, Seven Bridges Omelettes), which just adds to the fun of dining in Duluth.
5. Gosh Dam Place: There is way more to this restaurant than just an awesomely punny name. If you ever find yourself heading north towards Lake Winnibigoshish (which we locals justy call Winnie) to fish, hunt, or stay at a resort for some R&R, this place has great breakfast options. You won’t go wrong with the Gosh Dam Breakfast, which comes with two massive pancakes, two eggs, hashbrowns or breakfast potatoes, and your choice of meat. It’s wholesome and hearty and just plain wonderful.
If you happen to try any of these, let me know what you think! I am always looking for new places to try, too…where you do recommend for breakfast?