Minneapolis weddings are easily some of my favorite weddings. There’s no place quite like the City of Lakes; it is equally historic as it is modern as it industrial as it is in nature. The Mini Apple is a great place to get married…but there are a few things you should know if you are considering it:
- PARKS ARE PLENTIFUL…BUT YOU WILL NEED A PASS: I have always felt that Minneapolis has some of the finest city parks that a municipality of its size can offer. With that said, there is also a substantial force with the Minneapolis Parks police, and I have seen their enforcement first hand (spoiler alert: When they say “NO TRESPASSING” when it comes to a frozen Minnehaha Falls, they mean no trespassing). Keep it legit and for any photo session, be sure to secure the appropriate permit. They are super easy to get, so do the right thing and get yours.
- UNDERSTAND LOCAL ETIQUETTE AT MAJOR LANDMARKS AND PARKS: Because Minneapolis is such a pedestrian-friendly space, it is important to respect those vibes. Don’t block bike lanes on the Stone Arch Bridge, be cautious of scooters, and know dogs are ample (and often friendly). Minneapolis weddings should anticipate this sort of activity, especially if at a venue or taking portraits near the heart of the city.
- HAVE A CLEAR WEDDING VISION WHEN LOOKING FOR YOUR VENUE: Minneapolis weddings have the lion’s share of venue choices for all genres. There’s barns, golf courses, super cute hotels, and actual ruins, so just searching for a venue could easily become overwhelming. Knowing what you’re seeking before you begin your search will help a lot.
- PLAN FOR EXTRA PORTRAIT TIME: Just like you, Minneapolis is exceptionally photogenic; there are actually perfect places for portraits around every corner (and everything is relatively close, so travel between is no problem, especially if you secure transportation like a trolley from Renee’s Limousines). If you are planning a Minneapolis wedding, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to anticipate photos taking a touch longer as you take in the city. It might be tempting to not, but trust me–you will be happy you did when you receive your final gallery.
- WHETHER THE WEATHER BEHAVES, IT’S ALL AWESOME: Minneapolis is nice year round. Even when it snows, it’s great. Even rain can have a certain appeal with a couple of clear umbrellas on a city sidewalk is glamourous. Just love whatever the city gives, and it will be great.
There isn’t anything like a Minneapolis wedding…even better, it is easy to make the most of it by just enjoying everything this city can offer your amazing celebration.
Kayla Lee is a Minnesota-based wedding and elopement photographer (and handcrafter and designer on the side). She serves elegant, authentic, sentimental couples who not only choose their own adventures, but also live them to the fullest! See more about the KLP Wedding Experience!
add a comment