For the wedding industry, ’tis the season. More couples get engaged during the month of December than any other month on the calendar. If you’re reading this…you might very well be one of them (and if you’re not yet, don’t worry–your time is coming:)
If you *are* scrolling this with a new piece of jewelry on your hand, you might be wondering what now? What’s next after getting engaged? After nearly a decade in the wedding industry as both a wedding decorator and a photographer, I can say with certainy that there are seven things you should around the time you are engaged:
- ENJOY THE MOMENT! Don’t rush to your local Barnes + Noble or Target to get a stack of magazines; don’t start thinking of how you will ever narrow down your wedding party nominees. Keep it off social media. Instead, take the time to celebrate the beginning of this new chapter. Pay tribute to your next step before you jump right past it into married-dom. Go have a nice dinner. Treat yourself to a manicure (your hand is going to be a focal point for awhile). Pop some champagne to toast the popping of the question. Just enjoy this turning point in your relationships for a while as a couple before you do anything else.
- INVITE OTHERS TO ENJOY YOUR TIME! Call your parents, casually lift your hand while out to lunch with friends…start to bring others into your joy! Be courteous, though, and tell those who matter most in person; let them see the excitement on your face or hear the elation in your voice before they see all the heart eyes and likes on social media.
- COMPLETE THE TECHNICAL, FINE PRINT-KIND-OF THINGS. Once you have started to spread the news, it will be important to begin the logistics, such as starting to calculate a budget and get the ring covered by insurance. While this will not be the highlight of this chapter, it is important to ensure that your story keeps going an doesn’t come to an abrupt ending.
- DETERMINE WHAT KIND OF WEDDING YOU ARE THINKING! Are you thinking a big ballroom to-do, or are you thinking about running away to a rustic location, just the two of you? Once you determine your vision, it will make so many other things easier to plan,
- GET A CALENDAR OR A JOURNAL. Once you start dreaming and scheming of your big day, the ideas are just going to flow—be sure to have a space to catch them so you don’t forget a single one.
- PICK A DATE AND/OR A VENUE: Perhaps you have a special date in mind. Maybe you have always hoped to get married at a specific venue. Whatever your rationale, it is important to determine which one determines the other, and secure both as soon as you feel comfortable and ready to make that decision.
- SMILE. ALL THE TIME. This is the best time of your life. You are ENGAGED! This is the time to enjoy every single feel that comes from it. It is only stressful if you lose sight of what matters most: Your commitment to one another.
Just like with the winter holidays, the most important thing you can do is to remember the reason for the season: You are here, feeling all the feels and learning what you need to do next because of your love. Keep that at the forefront, and everything will always fall into place. Always.
Kayla Lee is a Minnesota-based wedding and elopement photographer. She provides services to elegant, authentic, sentimental couples who not only choose their own adventures, but also live them to the fullest!
<<<WANT MORE INFORMATION? I GOT YOU! I have created an easy-to-download app that contains ten more tips for wedding planning! Click here to access it FOR FREE!>>>